Acre Gardens, based in the leafy suburb of Northwood, offers
substantial sized garden, with plot 5 and 6 even overlooking
rolling green fields.
With the end of summer approaching, now is the time to make the most of your outdoor space and the landscaped gardens at Fern Acre Gardens have much to offer. So, how can you create a haven with minimum effort? Read on for some top tips.
1. If budget allows, a landscape gardener can redesign your outdoor space to suit your family's needs. Or why not have a go at designing your own? A gardener can help you achieve your vision and if you want to keep a lid on costs you could approach your nearest agricultural college to find a student or hire a retired gardener.
2. Suburban gardens can vary greatly in size but they all serve a similar purpose, to provide families with an extended space of their home and therefore they need to be versatile. Larger gardens can be zoned to provide separate areas for children to play, fruit and vegetable plots, entertainment and wildlife. If you have a smaller garden, you may give over the lawn to the trampoline or climbing frame, but you can achieve everything else by using fold-away garden furniture and making clever use of container planting.
3. Cottage gardens came about originally as a way for Victorian gardeners to make the most of small spaces but can now be found in the largest country estates and are enjoying a huge resurgence in popularity. Benefits of a cottage-garden approach include:
- You can plant whatever you want, wherever you want and if it doesn't look right you can just move it. You can even plant vegetables amongst the flowers.
- Cramming your borders with plants will create a natural barrier to weeds. Cover your beds with weed-inhibiting matting to buy yourself time while you decide what to grow.
- You'll attract all sorts of wildlife, such as birds, bees and butterflies. You'll also create a haven for natural pest controllers such as frogs, toads and ladybirds.
Visit our show home open Thursday to Monday 10am - 5pm to get some inspiration from the beautiful Feren Acre Gardens offers.
To book an appointment call 01923 418096 or book an appointment online.